Today, 12 of Western Australia’s brightest young scientists are in Perth participating in the Fresh Science state final.
The 60 state finalists have been chosen competitively for their discovery and for the quality of their research.
Today, they will be trained in how to talk science to journalists, business and the public at a one day media and communication workshop.
And tonight, they’ll join 40 or so guests for a networking reception, and meet one final challenge – can they excite and inspire over a glass of wine?
The 12 Western Australian state finalists are:
- Chris Abbiss, Edith Cowan University
- Janelle Braithwaite, University of Western Australia
- Belinda Brown, Edith Cowan University
- Kitty-Rose Foley, Telethon Institute for Child Health Research
- Veer Gupta, Edith Cowan University
- Michael (Dr K) Klunzinger, Murdoch University
- Gino Putrino, University of Western Australia
- Jess Robertson, CSIRO Earth Science and Resource Engineering
- Liza Roger, University of Western Australia/ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies
- Natalie Strobel, Edith Cowan University
- Ruth Thornton, University of Western Australia
- Mandy Trueman, University of Western Australia
The Western Australia final is supported by Inspiring Australia; The University of Western Australia, Edith Cowan University and Murdoch University.